Operation Humanity's Peace Forum is the best way to connect active socially conscious student leaders in Ontario. It's an opportunity to discuss pressing global issues and review what we've done as students and how others can start doing the same.

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Sinclair Enviro

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mariko.Bown-Kai
Student Leader

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Sinclair Enviro   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:38 am

Hello everyone, I am one of the heads of my schools Environmental Club. We basically try to help keep our school clean and environmentally friendly. As well we try to make a positive difference in our community.

We have a few good things planned for our school such as specific days to reduce the use of electricity or reduce handouts. We also are planning a battery and a printer ink cartridge drop off. We also have some bigger plans in the early stages for Earth Week in April. One of our upcoming fundraising events is selling some sort of baked goods to raise money for a to be determinded charity.

So I'm wondering what are other schools doing, and does anyone have any good ideas on environmental initiatives to take in a school?
Back to top Go down
KayKay
Student Leader
KayKay

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sinclair Enviro   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Im Kayla,
I go to Oshawa Central, and at our school we have the Enviromental Club and we have a new club called Charity for a Cause.
Recently, our Enviromental club planted gardens around the school and they also went around the community and pick up garbage to promote a safe and healthy school/community!
Our newest club, the Charity For a Cause, is basicly to helppp raise money doing various things and giving the profits that we make to deciding charitys. This month were foucsing on Free The Children/Me to We.
We're currently having problem coming up with new and exciting event to raise the money. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Mariko.Bown-Kai
Student Leader

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sinclair Enviro   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Well you could start with something small like selling cookies or something, at our school we are looking in to if our culinary arts classes could even bake them fresh for us the day of. Another easy thing could be a some kind of spirit day, maybe wear a certain colour clothing or type of clothing. You could also do something like show a movie at lunch or after school, you wouldn't be able to charge admission because of copyright laws but selling things like popcorn or candy could generate a bit of money.

My school is in whitby, right close by and I was wondering if you or anyone else knew of a good environmental group or charity that we could raise money for. We could always raise money for something big like the WWF, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows any smaller, more grassroots charities or organizations, because they are harder to find but I think it'd be cool to raise money for something in our community.
Back to top Go down
LindsayHorner
Student Leader
LindsayHorner

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sinclair Enviro   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Another thing that you could try when it comes to raising money is selling milkshakes. At Wilson, it seems to be really popular. I believe we started this type of fundraiser when the school first opened when I was still in elementary school.I was introduced to this event when I was Grade Nine Rep. It has been very popular and successful with the students and teachers. We normally order the milkshakes from Reid's Dairy, I believe.

If you are looking for a charity in the Durham Region, try Habitat for Humanity, Durham which is located in Ajax. As well as, The Humane Society of Durham Region which is located in Oshawa. They are not environmental groups but they are charities here in the Durham Region.
Back to top Go down
KayKay
Student Leader
KayKay

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sinclair Enviro   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 am

Thank you guys!
I love all of the suggestions, I will bring them to my teacher today and see what he thinks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jessicahbu
Student Leader

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: a word...   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 1:32 am

i think its a good idea to think at a community level
being active inside the school is good but if it involves the community it's even better

also if funds are an issue, im sure there are many other things we could think of that is not so heavily relied on funds

If we happen to get funds i think we should consider giving a potion of it to an environmental charity.

these are all just suggestions^^
Back to top Go down
mike_merritt
Student Leader

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Enviro Awareness    Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for environmental awareness issues at a high school? we're not really looking for fundraising, more just to raise the club's profile in the school so people will know who we are when we do fundraising. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sinclair Enviro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sinclair Enviro   Sinclair Enviro Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sinclair Enviro
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Operation Humanity's Peace Forum :: General Discussion :: Clubs and Councils-
Jump to: